top of page

New Molds, New Technique

I was a little at a loss as to what I was going to make for this Working Wednesday blog. I have two valentine’s ideas planned, but this seemed too early (watch out for the next two!) So, Tuesday evening I pulled a whole lot of my craft stuff out and kind of rummaged through it until I had an idea. We used new models and tried a new technique for the pendants we made this week. We are making skulls and crosses.


  • The molds (from amazon) I will link the skull molds at the end, the crosses were a gift from my friend.

  • Resin (Part A and Bart B Mixed)

  • Food coloring

  • Disposable measuring cup

  • Mixing stick

  • Heat Gun

  • Jump rings

  • Hooked screws

  • Earring studs

  • Needle-Nose Pilers

First, I mixed the resin. The resin comes in two parts: a resin and a hardener. You mix it at a 1:1 ratio measured by volume, meaning it requires equal amounts of both resin and hardener. Mixing the resin and hardener creates a chemical reaction, transforming them from a liquid into a solid. I mixed half of a cup worth, so I had enough to test my idea. Once it was mixed, I poured a little resin into another disposable container and put two drops of blue resin first. It blended surprisingly well since food coloring is water-based. (Resin and water are not supposed to mix). I tried a few of the other colors individually, but then Lou wanted to help. Lou added the food coloring (she added more than a few drops!!), and she created an intense purple and a dark green.

We filled the molds with the different colors. With the cross molds, we filled it over halfway then drizzled colors over the top in hopes of a marbleized type look. Not sure that’s what we ended up with, but I think they turned out pretty good. After the molds were set, I ran the heat gun over them in hopes to the pull the air bubbles out, (the skulls did not seem change though. The way the molds are the heat did not seems to hit work, but afterwards I did not see bad bubbling).

Wednesday morning, I popped all the pieces out. They were not fully set or hardened, but I like to take this type out, so it is easier to add the screw into the top. Adding them at this point means it will finish hardening around the screw.

After I added the screws, I went ahead and added the rings to make them necklaces or earrings. Lou really wanted to make a pair of earrings, so I turned two of the tiny purple skulls into a pair of earrings, and of course, she had to see how they looked once they were done!

These pendants need to finish hardening for another 24 hours so that I can feel confident in them hanging. (I did hang a few from a necklace just long enough to get a picture so you could see the final products). I will finish them up and have them available on the website and Facebook by Friday, but I wanted to make sure that I shared them with y’all on time (one of my New Year’s resolutions is to stay on top of blogs and not get behind… hopefully, it will be a doable one-we shall see!)

Here is the link to the skull molds:

Until Next time…

4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page